Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Defining Moments

Defining Moments

Dr. Phil says that we have a few defining moments in our lives. These moments or experiences are what form us into the person we become. These defining moments can be big, small, good or even bad, never the less we allow them to lay the groundwork for how we live our lives. I had one of these moments the other day.

As you all know by now, food was my drug, so when I used to struggle with something I would immediately turn to food to help me ease the pain or avoid the issue at hand. Last week I was having a terrible day, well week really everything that could go wrong seemed like it did and I finally broke down! I was at work in Bar Harbor and realizing that I was not in the right state of mind to give a good treatment to my very deserving clients, I knew I just had to get my head back into the game before they showed up.

My first thought was...I need to go walk this off...so I walked directly out the door and started walking, the faster I walked feeling the cool ocean air on my face,  the better I felt. I walked down Cottage Street onto Main...and immediately it hit me! The sweet smell of Ben and Bills!! At that moment I just stopped on the sidewalk and stared at the store, I could not believe what I had done!

Last September when I felt this way, I would have got in the car, drove down and bought a huge slab of fudge and ate it real fast on my way back to the office so no one could see. But no, not this time, this time my mind immediately told me to walk it off, get some exercise. I had adopted new habits and ways of dealing with life's ups and downs! I was subconsciously treating myself with respect...I automatically leaned toward loving behavior...without even having to work at it!! This was a defining moment for me, it was the first time that I had conformation that I had moved forward in my life. I was not the same helpless person that was standing inside the doors of Ben and Bills less than a year ago, this time I was the strong, self respecting person standing on the outside with a great big grin :)

With tears of joy in my eyes and my huge grin, I walked right by and on the way  back through it was even easier to keep moving because with every step I knew that I was walking towards a life that was whole.

For all you stress eaters out there, don't give up, take baby steps and give yourself big pats on the back when an accomplishment is made, and when you stumble do not give yourself an emotional beating. Every day it will get easier I promise!!! YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment